Does it cost money to join the group claim?


Who will pay the legal costs of the group claim?

The plan is for a ‘no win no fee’ claim. A litigation funder will cover the costs of the case as it goes along. The funder will be paid back, if the claim succeeds, out of the damages. The terms of this arrangement will need to be agreed once the group has assembled.

Will I be at risk of having to pay my university’s costs if the group claim does not succeed?

No.  The plan is to take out insurance to cover this risk. The insurance premium would be due only if you win the claim, paid out of any damages awarded.

How much compensation will I receive?

If the group claim succeeds, you may be entitled to receive compensation. It is too early to say how the compensation will be calculated, but students affected by the strikes potentially deserve compensation of hundreds of pounds each.

Can foreign students join the group claim?

Yes. The group claim is open to UK, EU and non-EU students.

What if I missed fewer than 14 days of teaching due to the strikes?

You might still be entitled to compensation for the teaching not provided. It is still worth expressing an interest in joining the group claim by completing the form . You can enter the number of missed teaching days in the form.

How long will the group claim take?

That will depend on when the claim gathers enough students to be brought, and after that on how quickly it is dealt with by the courts. If the claim succeeds and you are awarded compensation, your university would normally be ordered to add interest to the compensation.

What happens after I have filled in the form to join the group claim?

Once the group is assembled, it will need to agree terms to fund the group claim. Once terms are agreed, the group claim can be commenced at court. It will then proceed to trial unless a settlement can be agreed with the universities.

Are there other ways to get compensation – without joining a group claim?

Students can seek compensation directly from their university via its formal complaints procedure.  If the university does not grant compensation, students can complain to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA).


  • Universities have indicated they will not pay compensation.
  • The OIA takes a different approach to the courts when determining its recommendations to universities. The courts’ approach may enable students to receive higher amounts of compensation.